Prices incl. VAT plus shipping costs
- ISBN-10: 1220001311
- ISBN-13: 9791220001311
by Vittorio Roberti and Luca Gastaldi
The Delta S4 - born in 1983 at Abarth under the project code SE038 - represents an important chapter in the Lancia sports history. A relatively short history, but very significant in terms of technology and racing results.
This book explores the Delta S4's entire career, from the white sheet to the latest racing victories.
In November 1985 the Lancia Delta S4 rose to prominence of the World rallies. The S4 debut in World Rally Championship was at the British RAC Rally, and was an immediate triumph thanks to the victory of the great Finnish driver Henri Toivonen. After thirty years from that exploit, the story of the "S4" is now rebuilt in this book.
Vittorio Roberti is an engineer who worked at the Abarth’s racing department from 1979 to 1994, operating on the development of the SE038 project (how initially the Delta S4 was identified). Luca Gastaldi is a journalist specializing in automotive history.
The title of this publication is simply "Lancia Delta S4", because there is nothing to add to a name that immediately evokes emotions, adrenaline and pride for an Italian construction at that time represented the state of the art about technological refinements. The Delta S4 - in addition to being the first 4WD car in the Fiat Group (with the exception of off-road Campagnola and olther industrial vehicles) - sported an engine equipped with a twin supercharging system with volumetric and turbo superchargers. The full story of this car (from the white sheet to the last racing successes) is treated in a comprehensive and exhaustive way. Nearly 400 pages, over 1.000 photographs (many of which are absolutely unpublished) and dozens of technical illustrations (made by Camillo and Alessandro Cordasco) to describe the evolution and the differences between the road and the racing versions.
There are testimonies of the protagonists (from Cesare Fiorio to Miki Biasion, and many other names less known but very important for the birth of S4), the "race setup", the prototypes' characteristics and the final versions, the detailed history of each individual chassis and much more: a real bible on this famous Lancia model become a legend.
LANCIA IN RACING
FROM THE BIRTH OF RALLIES TO GROUP B
- The main cars in Group B
- The main homologated models
THE 4x4 IDEA
LANCIA DELTA S4: PROJECT AND DEVELOPMENT
- A risky exercise (by Fabio Massimello)
- Code name: SE038
- The bodywork
- The recklessness of revolutionary ideas (by Sergio Limone)
- The chassis
- An abridgement of innovation (by Claudio Lombardi)
- The engine
- I.A.W. electronic injection and ignition
- All wheel drive: our only choice (by Pier Paolo Messori)
- The transmission
- Suspension, steering, brakes and wheels
- From the SE038 to the Delta S4
- The six prototype chassis
- The aerodynamic evolution
THE DELTA S4 IN COMPETITIONS
- An embarrassing superiority (by Cesare Fiorio)
- The best on tarmac (by Miki Biasion)
- Nothing was left to chance (by Ninni Russo)
- 1985: on the road to success
- 1986: striving for the World Championship
- The Continental title
- Prophet in its own land
- Success on dirt and ice
- The "Corsa Evoluzione" chassis
STATE OF THE ART
- From the Delta S4 to the SE040 project, Group S and ECV/ECV2
This is the first book ever published about this great car.
Buch, Hardcover, 24 x 26 cm, 364 Seiten, ca. 1.000 überwiegend farbige Abbildungen, zweisprachiger Text (englisch/italienisch)